AveKym

John Preston, Leigh Rutledge, Aaron Travis, Pat Califia
Created Equal: Why Gay Rights Matter to America
Michael Nava, Robert Dawidoff

Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open

Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open - SJD Peterson, Eric Arvin,  Abigail Roux,  T.J. Klune,  S.A. McAuley,  Jason Huffman-Black This is not a book you read at the beach, you're going to want a bottle of liquid courage and a dark corner with lots of pillows. It is a collection where the authors did just as they wanted, stretching and writing something they normally don't. If you like bawling your eyes out [I don't] T.J. Klune has you covered, it's a well crafted tale, clear from the beginning as to where it's heading. Abi Roux, too will bring tears (and no thanks to her, I can't seem to not read another military story this week). The Eric Arvin story reminded me of the old Shirley Jackson story, The Lottery and some trilogy by Nora Robbins the title of which I forget. Both are probably amateurish comparisons, it's not a genre I read a lot. Jason Huffman-Black's story was completely unexpected in that the only work of his I'd read before was in past Don’t Read in the Closet events. The S.A. McAuley was probably my favorite in that, you know when you think you can see a character doing the wrong thing and you're telling him "don't do it, don't" I got so wrapped up in the story I forgot what I was cheering for. But the S.J.D. Peterson story was like reading something on Nifty that surprises by actually being well done and yet, ugly inside. At least, nobody got peed on, I prefer men to be men and let dogs be dogs.